2009年4月28日 星期二

It is the next step that matters.

The post in one of my chicken soup for mind on the side bar http://http//itrustican.blogspot.com/2009/04/take-responsibility-for-next-step.html? encourages me to introspect. I now, getting out most of the mess of life, is able of keep reminding myself of those words: Don't look back, look forward and don't complain. No blame. I am doing pretty good now.
For most of us who have the control of our own life, it is true that the next step afterwards is more important than what happened in the past. But when I think of those who are still in pain and don't have any choice...

Think of someone whose life is surrounded by so many uncontrollables. How could they look forward and take any constructive next step for their own life.
Take India for example, women born in poverty was a shame to their family and have no rights at all. If you tell them to take any next step to grab a true life that will put their life in jeopardy. I know some women would rather risk their life for freedom, but when they are married with kids, they would not do it for kids' sake. And I believe there are many more women who although live in developed or developing countries, out of their old cultures, suffered from mental abuse by their families around.

Maybe to forget and forgive is the only step they can take. And don't tell them not to cry. Crying may heal the pain.
Or maybe we should said this: if you can not change the environment, then change your mind or attitude. This might be the step to take.


Hope this won't sound too negative. Cheers!
..

3 則留言:

Unknown 提到...

This post is great, that gives us a guide to response to the situation, not react to it, so as to overcome that suffering.

To make it clearer, you may refer to my earlier post on 90/10 rules.

Cheers and have a great day,

Repost 提到...

The following is reposted from itrusican blog's response to June's comment.

Hi June,

yes it's certaintly hard to see how one can take charge and move forward in the circumstances you mentioned.

I get my inspiration from the example of Nelson Mandela - what he and his family had to go through before he succeeded in ending apathied rule in South Africa. Mandela also moved his people forward instead of looking back and settling scores. Another inspiration is Xanana Gusmao who won independence for the East Timorese.

They and many others overcome seemingly impossible odds before they finally break through.

I don't have any better answer, just working on myself to be more like them.

Thanks

June 提到...

My thought is that for those who can, try your best, for those who can not, change yourself. Either way, the common goal is to make our own life better.